Re: alfa-digest V7 #1291

In a message dated 01/19/2000 9:58:22 PM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<< These things are warm-blooded Italian machinery -- they do not like the
 cold -- for that clime, a German or other N Europe machine is easier
 [those do not like the heat of summer] >>

I beg to differ.

Arese is in sight of the Alps, all Alfas I've ever had have great cabin
heating, at least in the GTV6, the first one I had with A/C that system is
anemic, you can see from the design of the GTV6 (done in Torino, another
cold, wet climate) little thought was given to how much heat would build up
in the car when parked outside on a toasty day, etc. In all, I'd say the
Milanese maker didn't overlook cold weather and a GTV6 in proper running
order should start reliably on your ski trip or college in frozen Utica.
Remember Octopussy?

But just for fun, see if you can find a cozy warm garage, put the car inside
and let it thaw, and see how it starts then.  If it started and ran fine from
CT, and has been in Arctic cold since, you may literally have something
(condensed H2O)? Frozen in there.

Given the car isn't new and some of the systems may be a little tired, it's
better to find out what's going on and set it right; then the car won't
disappoint you.  Don't forget to check the connections for the coolant temp
sensor: if this isn't in the loop properly the CPU can't start the car.
Certainly when it comes to operation in cold weather, they don't "all do
that."

[Fred, that will be 2500 lire, please. ;)]

Charlie

LA, CA, USA

91 Spider (low slung for snow but great heating)
84 GTV6 (better in temperate weather, hotbox in summer)