164 thermostats and alloys

My 91 164 has a thermostat integral with its housing, sold as one piece.
Changing the thermostat is as "simple" as removing the old housing complete
with 'stat and installing the new assembly.

Does everybody already know that factory alloy wheels are most often
painted, and occasionally clear coated as uncoated alloy corrodes like
crazy in normal street use. It's worth keeping an eye on alloys used in
winter conditions as stone chipping left untreated can cause rapid and
unsightly freckling of whitish aluminum oxide. The only good news is
aluminum oxide itself protects the alloy from further corrosion (unlike
rust on steel) and is essentially the basis for anodizing, of say sailboat
spars. I use steel wheels in winter primarily because of the risk of
corrosion damage to the alloys.

And yes, incompetent tire shops drive you crazy by, among other things,
chipping the alloy wheel paint with clip on instead of stick on weights,
although there are nice coated clip on weights now that work fine.

Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta
Canada
91 Alfa 164L, White, original owner