Re: Copper head gasket

"Steve Smith" wrote:

> Hi,
>
>      I had a head gasket go south recently and was offered a used copper
> sandwich gasket to try this time. I understand solid copper gaskets, when
> used a second time, need to be annealed first. Is this true for copper
> sandwich gaskets? If so, how do you anneal one?
>     The head is being resurfaced and the block cleaned thoroughly before
> anything goes back together.
>     I welcome any thoughts about gasketing the head, whether it's with a
> standard fiber gasket, copper sandwich or solid copper gasket. Tricks, tips
> or frighteneing stories are encouraged. Thanks in advance. Respond off line
> if you fear flames.

If you're having a steady stream of head gasket problems, I'd
tend to blame the gaskets first if I knew the head was true.

As for copper gaskets, I think I'd only use one if nothing
else was available, given that a head gasket is a relatively
cheap (but very important) part of an engine.  If the copper
gasket was useful, would it be available do you think?

I think the only really good gasket is an Alfa factory head
gasket, Ricambi Originale in the funky orange plastic wrapping.
Yes, they are more expensive than the cheap ones, but put a cheap
one and a Ricambi Originali next to each other (like I did last time
I pulled the head on my Alfetta) and you will never go back.

Alfa's supplier looks like they've adopted a lot of "modern"
gasket technology into that gasket (modern adhesives, good quality
fibre) and it shows.  Spend the extra and you won't be spending more
money down the track when the cheapie goes blooey again.

I'm also a big fan of wielding a torque wrench regularly on my
Alfa heads to keep them to the right tension.

dave.
drubie@domain.elided
Sydney, Australia