SOS - Steering Wheel Disaster

Well, I got back from vacation and decided it was time to install my
beautiful new mahogany steering wheel in Strega, my '86 spider veloce.
I got a steering wheel puller and got the old one off ok, and then
installed the hub adapter for the new (aftermarket) wheel.  I went to
wire up the horn, and - oops - no real provision for getting the wire to
the included horn button.  I think about it for a while, and have a
clever idea about using a piece from the factory wheel.  All I need to
do is pull the new hub adapter and put a ring in first, to pick up the
current the way the factory wheel does.

Here's where the fun starts.  I try to pull the new hub adapter off, and
rather than cooperate, it decides to break at the flange.  So I try a
couple of different holes, and the same thing happens.  Now more than
half of the flange has broken off, and the hub refuses to budge.  I
can't really use the steering wheel puller properly any more, since
there isn't enough of the flange left.  I tried whacking at the side of
the hub with a hammer.  Nothing.  I could try one last time with the
steering wheel puller at a screwey angle, but if I break the rest of the
flange off, I'll have nothing.

So now, I can't get the hub off, and I can't safely attach the steering
wheel to it, either.  So I can't drive the car.

Suggestions?

Hal Taylor
'86 spider veloce "Strega"
Venice, CA