Air conditioning

Bill,

Some time ago I posted a similar question about A/C which I am undertaking
on my 81 spider with a carbureted 74 engine.  John Hertzman helpfully
offered that he had a very low opinion of the factory bar extending from the
portside of the engine and that he personally knew the design broke heads.

Fortunately I already have the conversion to carbs, but hanging the
compressor low to starboard is still something of an issue.  The spica
mounting points are cast into the cylinder block as well as some machining
in the front cover. The later Bosch cars have unique threaded bosses in the
upper right surface of the hammerhead oil pan to support the factory A/C
bracket and use a unique two-sheave pulley that adjusts with shims to
tension the belt running to the rigidly fixed compressor.  So, to emulate
the factory setup one would need a replacement pan, front cover, pulley and
as you have sugessted, carburetor conversion.  Given the cost a friend
suggested it would be cheaper just to get another car to drive when it's
hot!!

I'm not whipped yet.  Mr Hertzman also suggested consulting Vintage Air in
San Antonio and with the exception of a clean, easy way to hang the
compressor, they have the solution to all the other questions you raised.  I
recently saw a street rod project with a sanden comperessor mounted on a
fixed aliminum bracet bolted to yhe block an a heim-jointed rod to adjust
tendion. I may emulate this and if so will post the design and results.

Bryan Shuler
Austin, TX