Re: alfa-digest V7 #1281, Brake Fluid

At 8:51 AM 1/15/00, KDHX@domain.elided wrote:
>Here's another thought regarding brake fluid.  I was told by an Alfa mechanic
>that mineral oil was the fluid of choice for brake fluid.  He claimed it
>compressed as well as brake fluid, was non toxic, didn't absorb water etc.  I
>was surprised to hear this and suspected that if it was that easy that no one
>would be messing with brake fluid?  Did anyone else ever hear this?

It is used for brake fluid in lots of heavy equipment. One needs VERY
different rubber compound for the seals for it to work. Also, it will not
stand nearly as much temperature as the glycol based brake fluids will.
SO--not such a hot idea for a high performance car!

Non absorbtion of water by brake fluid is not such a wonderful thing,
either--some water inevitably gets into a brake system as it breathes, with
temperature changes, etc. --far better to have it dissolve into the fluid,
and get flushed out when you change the fluid periodically, as you are
supposed to, than to have the water all collect in one spot in the system,
where it can freeze or boil!

Greg