75/Milano rear brake disc (rotor) swap results

Tonight I finished changing the rear discs which turned out to be a
bigger job than I had imagined. By the time I had completed the left
swap I was thinking "what a nice easy job" and expecting the other side
to be the same. Big mistake.
The cap screws holding the CV joint on were VERY much tighter on the LHS
and one was already round inside. Access is much worse as well which
doesnt help, even with the exhaust off. Getting the rounded screw out
involved the chisel at an angle method, to no avail, the weld a bar onto
it methodwhich was intended to heat the screw and provide something to
turn it with, also to no avail, and the good old disc cutter which
finally got it off. After cutting the head off there is enough room to
get a pair of pliers in to unscrew the shank of the screw between the CV
joint and the disc.
One thing that struck me (as well as the sparks) was that the guy who
designed the transaxle never intended anybody to put a car on top of it,
as it really gets in the way.
Has anybody cut the boot (trunk) floor out to make an access door yet?
The brake backer offer screws also appeared to work in the opposite
direction to the last time I touched them every time I went near them.
This was probably because I was crawling at them from a different angle
each time.
Now I have a shorter travel hand brake and the brakes all seem to work
fine, I intend to have a test drive tomorrow when its light as I didnt
fancy the extra hazard of the darkness and I was covered in dirt and
frozen stiff.
Tools that you will need:-
5 and 6mm Allen keys
6mm Allen key type socket
7mm socket
17mm ring spanner
Dentist type mirror
pointy ended pliers
Hammer for fine adjustments
Long punch to punch the old pads out

Tips for doing this:-
Dont do it when the weather is cold unless you have a heated garage or
are mad.
Have a disc cutter on hand in case one or more screws play hard to get.
If you are re-using the pad securing pins make sure that they are
straight before trying to get them back in (better to use new ones).
Have a couple (at least) of new screws in case you cut some up.
Be very carefull how you support the car because the handbrake wont hold
it and you cant rely on having it in gear to hold it in place.
Stands under the De dion triangle just in front of the rear wheels is
good, I had wheel ramps under the wheels as well, though the wheels were
a tiny bit too high for them to touch.
Get the correct attitude before going back into your house, face it you
HAVE been playing for two hours really, and do NOT deserve any sympathy.
Use lots of safety gear, gloves are good, glasses for keeping dirt out
of your eyes are a must, welding needs more gear etc.
If your fuel tank leaks do NOT use the welding (doesn't work anyway)
technique, nor the disc cutter.

Well its time to warm up with a warming drink and wait for the Chicken
Madras to arrive, that should get my body temperature gauge out of the
blue bit.
- --
jonathan coates