Re: GTV6 Exhaust

Doug Gould asks:

> I am about to buy a 1986 (pre catalytic converter) GTV6 which has an exhaust
> leak from one of the flex couplings at the end of the engine pipes. It has
> been suggested to me that I should simply remove both flex couplings and
> replace them with solid pipe. Has anyone done this? Does it noticeably
> increase NVH? Does it cause fatigue problems with the engine pipes?

DO NOT eliminate the flex joints. I had a solid stainless steel exhaust system
installed on my GTV6 w/o any flex joints and within less than 20k miles the
manifolds (which had over 350k miles on them before the straight pipes) both
started cracking and had to be replaced.

Flex joints were added in October. The only reduction I noticed was in the
loudness of the exhaust note. There was no noticeable power loss.

NOTE: There were no pre-cat GTV6s sold in 'merica!
Down Under may be different.
Mine lost its cat a long time ago though...

'nardo
World's Highest Mileage GTV6 - currently showing 365,226 (s)miles.
b:d+z
Alpine, Brewster County, Texas USA
  Animated global position (~2:30 load @ 28.8):
     http://brooksdata.net/personal/thc-aroc-usa/alpine_zoom.htm