Duugie and the grey 164 TS

Yes, Dugless Fresh See'd-in mentions the grey market 164 TS which we
know is hidden away in the USA waiting for me to own it... BUT:

The owner owned it in Europe, imported it, and:
- - paid over $6500 to Federalize it,
- - it took nearly a year to retrieve it from the authorized converter
- - it was quite butchered by the converter, ie: no odometer due to
shorting out the display, wrong side marker lights on the rear quarters
- - ended up taking legal action against the converter to get it released
due to some snag with the fact that Euro versions had no pass. side
airbag as required in the USA cars. try retrofitting that....

After all the hassle, she has a car which few want to work on, no
support from Alfa Romeo, who discourages such imports, and parts
sourcing which includes hefty freight bills for items sourced in Europe.

I also know of a 156 in the USA, and while it isn't a hassle now, will
be when the parts come neccessary. Alfa wants to know nothing about it.
But owner is realistic about sourcing parts and paying BIG money to get
them.

My point is: if you can figure out the loophole (I don't know it so
don't ask) it is step one in a difficult and expensive ownership
experience. And we haven't even approached insurance coverage.

Black cloud blowing away.....

AlfaBill
(waiting to see 220 hp 4WD Subie Impreza Turbo due this summer on US
shores...)
91 168 (dead battery in protest of non use)
88 SnAAB 900T Cab (pick up truck)
71 Vw Westy.... welding tutor, Sebring shelter
85 Spider Grad, temporary visitor, looking for long term lover.