Re: Value of a clapped-out spider

Terry Akins (Milanogold@domain.elided) had asked:

> I'm looking for another Alfa.... a  '74 Spider.
>The one I'm looking at apparently has 59k original miles,
>it's that wild yellow color, has a hardtop as well as the soft top
>(relatively new but a cheap one)needs a clutch;needs SPICA work
>(at the least a new TA, at the most a new SPICA pump) and has a
>rusty floor board on the drivers side (has a small hole in it already.
>The owner, who is definitely not
>Alfisti doesn't have a clue as to how much he wants for the car;and
>truthfully I don't know how much to offer him.... Could I get some advice
on
>how much this car is worth in its current condition?

Terry:

It is probably worth next to nothing. Make the owner a low ball offer -
certainly under $1,000 - and he doesn't accept it on the spot, let him
look at the car sitting in his driveway for the next few weeks, while
his wife nags him about getting rid of that old "heap".  Another Alfa
nut may buy it for more, but there's no way the general public
(ie, sane people) are going to buy a 26-year old, poorly-running,
Eye-Talian car at any price.

You weren't specific as to how bad it was running.  "Spica problems"
covers a whole range of conditions, from the occasional backfire to
not running at all.  Similarly, how bad is the clutch?  If the answers
are "not running" and "bad", you should be asking the seller for
money to haul it away.  But, the car does have low mileage, the body
is reasonably straight, and the "wild yellow color" is factory and/or
doesn't offend you too much, then the car DOES have potential as
a project - especially if you can do the clutch and Spica work
yourself.

Given your stable of hardtopped, 6-cyl Alfas, you really need a
spider to round out the collection.  This car could be a good basis
for a project, but you will need to spend a few bucks to properly
repair the floor, get it running properly, and replace the clutch
(plus I GUARANTEE you that you will find more problems).
Since you live in the DC area, there must be a fair number of
70's spiders that come on the market from time-to-time.  If the
seller of this car has an inflated sense of its value, just wait
for the next one to come around.

Good luck - Jay Mackro, St. Louis