156, GTV or bust

My Fiancee and I are currently looking for a new car and ever since that
first ride with me in my '72 spider doing hair-raising things on mountain
passes, she has been hinting at an Alfa. With this in mind, I visited the
local Alfa dealer and looked at both a GTV and a 156. She is leaning towards
the 156 and I am partial to the look of the GTV.

However this is the meat of the issue here: The GTV was very obviously
designed by a man with no legs and extra long arms. I know this has long
been and alfa feature but this was ridiculous. I am only just 6 foot and
there is no way on God's earth I could drive it. My feet were jammed hard
againt the steering wheel and I could not reach to get the car into first
with out my holding my head at an angle against the roof.

So, with that out of the question, I looked at the 156. Without the badge on
the front it could have been any old Toyota. Inside, other than the silly
Alfa air vents, it was very unremakable. No Manual version available.

Now the question: need I be more charitable? I have owned and driven Alfas
all of my life. I learned to drive in an '83 gulietta 1.8 liter and often
wondered why other cars would drift through corners at speeds that were not
even fun in the Alfa. I currently own and drive a '72 spider as my daily car
and would drop my fiancee in an instant if there was any hint that my true
love should go (there is really only room for one love in a man's heart).

It appears that Alfa has drifted so far from what I love that nothing
remains but the badge. The mechanicals of the Milano are interesting but
only if I thought it might stay together longer then a few weeks without
something expensive breaking.

Without a rear wheel drive, manual, with some real Siren singing beneath the
hood, what's the point?

I have twice now pulled hard U-Turns in traffic and slid the spider sideways
into a parallel parking bay on the other side of the road before the
passenger or the other traffic knew what was happening. It appears that
current Alfa could only do this with divine intervention (this is blasphemy
I know; God drives a rearwheel drive I'm certain).

Ok I know this is long....... here is the point.

I am a man losing my religion, save me or excommunicate me.

Peter (My soul is burning) Hoare