'77 Alfetta GT Castor Rod Bushings

Happy new year to all.

I'm changing the castor rod bushings on the Alfetta GT ('77) and ran across a
problem that I could use some help with (this is my first time replacing
these bushings).

The CarDisc CD has no procedure for replacing the castor bushings, only a
parts manual. The parts manual picture matches my car's configuration
perfectly -- the castor rod is riveted to the upper wishbone on one end and
goes through the frame mounting hole at the other end. There's an adjuster
piece near the frame mount end.

The copy of the Autobooks workshop manual I have for the Alfetta also matches
the car configuration (above) and says to remove the front mounting nut and
bushing, mark the adjuster position, and then "screw the adjuster down fully
to move the rod rearwards and allow the inner mounting bushing to be removed."

The problem is that when I do all these things, there's still about an inch
(2.5cm) of the castor rod protruding through the front mounting hole and I
can't get the inner bushing off. I've tried prying the upper wishbone
rearward (as advised in the Autobook) without success. The wishbone won't
move far enough rearward to allow removal of the castor rod from the mounting
hole.

It appears I may have to remove the upper wishbone pivot bolt (a PITA) to get
enough movement to pull the rod out of the mounting hole.

Any suggestions? Is there another way to replace this bushing? I'd really
like to drive the car to the NWARC meeting this Tuesday night, if possible.

TIA

Tom
'77 Alfetta GT (temporarily out of commission)
'63 Spider (not even near commission shape)
Seattle

PS --  Brian from IAP also responded to my AD posted questions (a few weeks
ago) regarding the steering boot clamps and ended up offering a full refund
for the return of the unused clamps. He was very gracious and helpful. Thank
you Brian and IAP!