I Just Can't Take Any More of this [Expative!]

Like many other Digesti, I have tried to keep a low profile on the dispute
between Joe Cabibo and our own dug.  I understand both that Joe is running
an event where the big boys can take out their big toys and that people who
don't organize track events generally shouldn't criticize those who do.  But
like dug, I too have seen solicitations for this event making clear that my
car will be a "second class citizen" and felt distinctly unwelcome.

But Cabibo's latest message is simply over the top.  Imagine suggesting that
if dug or I wanted to, we could sell our 3L GTV-6s and by ourselves FIAT
308s for $20,000 each!  This just really takes the cheese.  Joe:  what would
anyone with a real Italian car that is the product of 60 years of heritage
and engineering brilliance want with a piece of $#*! like that?  I can see
the work of Alfa greats like Busso in every casting of my GVT-6.  What do
you see in a 308:  the work of FIAT elves!  Yes these cars are pretty if
they don't have DOT bumpers.  But they are really heavy and not all that
powerful.  And the handling is a joke (unlike the FIAT, Alfa Romeo did not
put their engines on top of their gear boxes in their performance cars).

When the 2.5 GTV-6s were new, numerous reviewers suggested that they were
easily the equal of the FIAT 308.  With the Verde engine and hot cams, these
cars are 150 mph machines that hit 60 in just over 6 seconds.  I would not
want to run my car with the F40s and Diablos, but I'd rather run with a fast
crowd in my GTV-6 than in any mass produced FIAT (including "dunebuggy"
Boxers and the beautiful but stupidly engineered Testarossa).

If your concern was really performance and not snob status, you would go by
power to weight ratio or lap times at a representative circuit rather than
the badge on the bonnet.

Rex