further to spark plug orientation

'74 2000 GT Veloce(Spica)
I am finding it very difficult to see/find the timing marks on the pulley,
but shall persevere...car is on a  gentle slope up to the house: would
putting the car in reverse and rolling it slowly backward work just as well
as forward?
My wife's birthday present was getting back her parking spot in the
garage-it's cold out there on the driveway for working on the car!

I tried setting the plug wires the way the various manuals seem to suggest,
ie cyl #1 forward on the distrib., was rewarded with not even a hint of
starting and a MAJOR backfire...can one see the closed valves at TDC in
cyl.#1, through the spark plug hole? Otherwise, TDC on the pulley could be
cyl. #4 on the opposite cycle?
Or do I have it wrong...doesn't the crank spin twice for once on the distrib.?

Too dark and cold for more tonight!
Peter, London, Ontario, Canada