Re: flywheel improvement (and balancing)

In message , "Bergman, Micke" <M.Bergman@domain.elided> writes
>Speaking of Alfa flywheels some basics should be considered.
SNIP
>The transaxle cars have a big problem with too much inertia in the
>crankshaft/front flywheel/Propeller shaft/rear flywheel+Clutch assy.
>
>I calculated the power consumption for accelerating the rotating parts of a
>standard Alfetta GTV. The following percentages are rotating/total
>consumption in different gears:
>1      2       3       4
>22%    11%     6%      3%
>
>For tuning, I recommend making every part as light as you can. I revolved
>the front flywheel to 5 kg (original 8 to 10 kg) and the rear one (one disk
>clutch) from 7.5 to 4.7 kg.
SNIP
>The improvement in acceleration is 13% in 1st gear!! (6% in 2nd, etc.)

This is interesting as I am intending to replace the clutch in my 2.0
75/Milano in the next week or two, and I have the old flywheel/pressure
plate/friction plate left over from last time. This is a great door-stop
and there appears to be no damage to any part other than the friction
plate. SO.. Can I rip lumps off it in the lathe, get it balanced, fit a
new friction plate (thus saving a few quid ($$)) and have a new improved
car?
Is there a reason why the rear flywheel is so big, such as to damp out
shocks to the donuts? Is the front flywheel only there to carry the ring
gear?
Less immediately necessary advice now sought:-
Can I get hold of an alumin(i)um front flywheel, or machine great slices
off the spare one I have? And can I fit it from under the car with the
engine in and the drive shaft out?

- --
jonathan coates
164L needing oil seals
75 2.0TS ex daily driver needing brake pads this week
33 QV Wagon hibernating/for sale
Alfetta GTV hibernating/project
Transit 4x4 scarer
Near Huddersfield, UK