Power windows on Spider

Jon had a question concering powerwindows on a spider:

1.  It says to lower the window, unbolt the cables and remove the glass
*before* removing the motor.  How do I get the glass down to the point where
I can reach the bolts?  I haven't found any manual means of doing so; the
glass and carrier won't move if I tug them, and there doesn't seem to be any
way to crank the regulator manually to bring it back down.

2.  I thought I'd try to remove the motor and regulator anyway, with the
glass still "up", since there seems to be enough room to get to it and,
especially after unbolting  the carrier holding the bottom two pulleys, the
cable appears to have more than enough slack to let everything come off
without being pulled by residual tension.  The manual just says to "remove
the three nuts holding the regulator on" - yet the bolts the nuts are
attached to just spin round in the regulator mounting plate.  Worse, they
seem designed to do so; they're not really bolts, just round-headed pins
with a threaded shank!  How the assembler tightened the nuts on them in the
first place is a mystery; how to get them off now has me baffled.  There
isn't any room behind the regulator to get any form of vise or grips to try
to hold those thin, round "bolt" heads; surely there must be some way to
remove the nuts without grinding them off and finding some real bolts to
replace them?

There's also no clue in the manual as to how much tension the cable should
have after re-installation and adjustment, but I figured I'd set it to about
what the passenger's side  has and see what happens.

This is how i solved the problem:

You seem to have the same problem i had one year ago. My method is somewhat
cruel but i managed to get a set of perfect power windows after this trick.

First i cut the cable. The problem with the original cable is that it's
endless and mounted on the pulley. Reinstalling is very difficult. You can
avoid this by buying two cables at the local bicycle store and connect them
with a connector they use for electrical purposes (i don't know the english
word for it but you use them to connect a lamp in the ceiling. Dutch word =
kroonsteentje).

After you cut the cable the window can be freed. Use some spray to grease
the point's where it should move. Now you are able to remove the window.
Also remove the vertical style/frame  holding the little window (don't know
the word for this one too). The nuts you refer to have to be removed from
the inside not outside. Therefore they are just round at the outside. After
you have removed the frame it's easy. If you don not remove the frame it's
very difficult to get the motor out.

If you have removed everything grease all parts and check whether they
operate correctly. If you reinstall everything start with the motor. I
fitted the cables to the pully and use tape to keep the cablewindings in
place. Direct the cables on the wheels (use pass. side as an example), if
fitted correctly it's W - shaped. Connect the two cables with a connector
and thighten them firmly. Then with a knife remove the tape from the pulley.
If everything stays in place you can easy tension the cables (not too
thight). Check whether everything works fine and reinstall the remainding
parts.

Hopes this helps but if you have still questions please ask them.

Regards,

Paul

Spider 2.0i Veloce '86
156 1.8i '98