Spider shrouds and skinned knuckles

RE:  removal of the radiator to chance a spider water pump.  I've
done it both ways.  W/O removal of the radiator more as an excercise
to see whether it could be done or not. It's amazing how sharp the
fins of the radiator can be when applied to the bare knuckles
(think cheese grater).  The most interesting approach
taken by a frustrated owner to preclude future difficulty in shroud
removal that I've seen was as follows.  He took a "SawsAll" and cut the
shroud so the fan opening instead of being an "O" resembled an upside
down "U" allowing the fan to pass by the shroud at the bottom without
removal.  I don't know if this had any detrimental effects on the
cooling at
either speed or idle.  It certainly solved any access problems with
the lower shroud fasteners though.

Ian