Alfa on a budget/SZ/Alfa gearboxes

Just caught up on 10 days of AD and of course am going to chime in on various
issues:

1) Regarding Alfas on a budget, I am 24, working and attending school hoping to
complete my second degree in what I hope is a better career choice than my first
degree. I live on my own. I own an 88 Verde, it can be very expensive at times,
especially as I am 90 percent of the time checkbook mechanic, and must keep it
that way, if I hope to simultaneously work and go to school ( as well as eat,
sleep, etc.).

I often ponder selling it though I desperately love it, because of the expense,
I can never get myself to do it.  I've decided to go and test drive some cars
soon, to either convince me that I really must keep the Milano or....

A note to Joe Elliot: When I was 19 I fell in love with a 1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16,
whatever anyone's personal feelings about this car I can tell you it was a
blast, 150hp frpm a 16 Valve 1.9 twin cam (I  constantly was hitting the 7500
rpm limiter), sharp handling, 164 like pininfarina styling and, get this higher
maintenance costs and higher depreciation than my current Milano. I eventually
sold it, for various reasons, but mainly because it's high expense was cheating
me out of my youth, not being able to go on dates or to the movies cause you
need X,Y or Z for your car when your 19 sucks. I'm not telling you what to do,
just merely giving you my personal experience.

BTW, If Alfa sold the Milano here with a 4 cyl TS engine or a 1.8 turbo I'd a
bought it as I honestly believe it would be dynamically better with a lighter,
higher revving four than the V6.

2) Regarding the SZ and Alfa gearboxes.

The SZ received nothing but highly complimentary road test reports in every
magazine which reviewed it then and now, and all compliment Alfa on finally
mastering the transaxle shift, what did they do? Who knows but obviously they
had the solution for a $60K car whereas it was unavailable for a $20K car.

I personally love the SZ, and would no doubt have bid on Ebay if my finances
allowed.

Giovanni
88 Verde

gonna go test drive a ford focus (It is a European car!)