Re: alfa-digest V7 #1256

In a message dated 01/02/2000 3:41:25 AM Eastern Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<< I have been advised on my '94 LS that it is appropriate to "retension"
 the timing belt after 5-10k miles after a belt change.  The 24V V6 seems
 to have a tendency to slip the cam belt on a tooth or two, on the rear
 exhaust cam if I am not mistake, which leads to almost a popping in the
 exhaust at idle, although the engine otherwise runs ok.  I guess that
 this is caused by the belt slipping and not being taken up by the
 tensioner.  This seems to be a common problem, but does not damage the
 engine in and of itself. >>

Yea, it's a common problem. As far as not doing any damage, let that slippage
be 3 or 4 and you'll soon find out how much damage can be caused.