Double clutch upshifts???

For just about any emission controlled engine I would not recommend a
double clutch upshift, the engine speed does not fall off fast enough to do
any useful slowing of the transmission. In fact, I'd be surprised if double
clutching the upshift on an unmodified street car (streetable that is, not
a tram!), would do anything but wear the synchros faster.

If the transmission crunches on the upshift (which many ALFAs do, except
for the 164!!!), you might be wiser to shift a bit slower, or consider
slightly heavier transmission oil. I never found trying the double clutch
upshift on my 82 GTV6 any help at all, the only thing that helped when the
gearbox was thoroughly warmed up and started to scrunch a little was to
throw in a slight delay in the shift and a firm two stage out of first and
then into second.

  A delayed shift is not the same as a slow shift, it has been my
experience that synchros do not respond well to slow engagement, they seem
to need the firm pressure of a quick engagement, but any time you can give
the gears to slow by hesitating in neutral will allow the gears to slow
down that much more and lighten the load on the synchros. Also, with
emission controlled engines it gives the throttle delay system time to
disengage (most FI engines now just shut off the fuel on closing the
throttle, but some of the older engines used dashpot type delays, crunch
crunch!).

With apologies to all those racers out there who know all this.... and
thanks to the Finn who responded to my query about the Selespeed
blipping... I wish we could get this box, or even the car without the
selespeed would be ok too! BTW, any of our Northern Euro correspondents
have any experience with the Selespeed on slippery roads? In Canada,
slipping the clutch and using higher gears are time honoured methods of
"traction control" on ice and snow, how does the Selespeed deal with these
problems?

Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta
Canada