RE: double clutching

 <<What you forgot in your description above was to blip the throttle when
in
neutral. This speeds up the input shaft, hopefully so that the speeds of the
shafts are equal. Since the synchro has no work to do, the gears slide
easily
into place, and no crunch.
Try it, it works going into ANY forward gear, except from a dead stop.

Len, who though still Alfaless, wishes all Alfisti a happy new year.>>
I didn't forget, I just didn't know.  That's why I questioned the value of
double clutching.  It didn't make any sense to me then.  Now it does.  It
never ocurred to me that blipping the throttle with the clutch down didn't
*move* any gears.  Obviously (now), the clutch needs to be released
momentarily to blip the gas and allows those gears to spin.  Thank you.
Anonimous (with the face Alfa red)