Milano Torsion Bars

Hi Digesters,

I will be doing some front suspension work over the next few days and
have a question about the torsion bars.

I notice that on the Milano they are covered with a thin rubber material.
 I have heard from at least one owner that eventually water migrates
inside the rubber, initiates rust which then becomes a point for failure
(fracture) of the torsion bar.  :-(

So my questions - First, what in the world is the rubber coating for?
Noise damping?  Corrosion protection?  Good looks?  Then, second, should
I cut and peel off the rubber coating?  It appears somewhat loose so this
looks relatively easy to do.  Or, since it appears to be intact should I
just leave it alone?  It seems like it would be more accurate to mark the
T-bar position with respect to its A-Arm if the wiggly soft rubber were
not there.

Thanks for your assistance.  Hope all enjoyed a great holiday.

Ron Coddington
Hamden, CT
'69 1750 GTV
'79 Alfetta GT