Excuse me?

I started to respond to Michael Smith's essay on "Erudite Digesters", because
I thought that what he wrote - ("we assume the recipients can spell check the
results just as easily, if they so desire, taking full responsibility for any
resulting misunderstandings") could not possibly be what he meant. In any
normal communication the person expressing the thought must bear at least
some of the responsibility for expressing his idea with reasonable clarity -
humorously if he wishes, poetically if he wishes, but if misunderstandings
result they should not be the full responsibility of the person on the
receiving end.

I aborted that response because I felt that quite enough had been said
already, but it seems to be going on. Since I am now in it this far I would
disagree with Smith's proposition that conventional spelling and proper use
of language is a recent phenomenon of very little importance. His exemplar,
Shakespeare (as Chaucer before him) used the conventions and proprieties (and
latitudes) of his times exceedingly well; he was not trying 2 B kwaint.

Doug Sedon's post in AD7-1236 contained one paragraph that I found very
telling: that when he replied specifically to a post from Luca, whose native
language is not English, he "made a conscious effort to go back & correct all
my 'murricun homilies that coulda confused the poor soul.  i figger that's
reasonable - *he* had specific questions - if i wanna help him, mite as well
try to make it understandable for him." I understand that "'murricun
homilies" was picked up from Biba's parody of Doug's style, but Doug has here
acknowledged that he has a very different attitude to one specific individual
foreigner than he does to the World audience generally. That seems somewhat
odd.

This whole brouhaha started way back in AD7-1227 when I questioned a couple
of postings which were conventionally spelled, conventionally punctuated,
conventionally capitalized, fully grammatical, but still unintelligible (to
me) because they omitted any clear clues to the questions they were
answering. I sincerely hope that I did not chase away the person who had
posted them. If I did, I apologize, and hope that he will rejoin the fold.

And I hope this thread peters out pretty quickly-

Good night - -

John