Milano Alternator Failure

The alternator on my Milano died tonight on the way home.  Actually it's
been a several day demise, with warning being given by the blinking
control panel light.  I'll take it out over the next few days, but I'd
like to find out from the list what to expect.  That is, what is the
most likely failure of my charging system?  My first guess is the
brushes wearing out.  Can I readily buy a new set of brushes?  Do they
come with the regulators sold by IAP?  What are the odds that I'll have
to buy a rebuilt unit (ouch)?  I'll dig into this some more tomorrow,
but if you've been through this, let me know.

Why does this happen only when it gets cold out?

Thanks
Scott Swanberg, St. Paul, MN