V6 leakdown test problems

Hi:
I did a leakdown test on a 2.5 liter engine I'm planning on installing in a
time-trial car.
When removed from the car, the engine had been running well (seemed to be
making good power [1:45 at Willow Springs], did not smoke, 1 qt per 1000
mile oil consumption etc).  The engine has a Sperry head, done about 9
years ago, but I'm unsure if the head has been freshened up since I bought
it in '95.
Anyway, the leakdown test showed about 90 - 100% leakage from all
cylinders!!  Seemed to be leaking equally from exhaust and intake ports.
When I removed this engine from the car a year ago, I changed all seals and
installed a good set of stock cams.  I'm wondering if some carbon from the
intake runners might have fallen into the cylinders thus causing the valves
not to seat?  Could an engine with this amount of leakage run this well (or
at all)??
I tried taping on the cam follower to briefly open the valve while the
leakdown tester was still connected (hoping to blow out any carbon in the
valves) but this did not improve the leakdown reading.  I'm quite confident
that I did the leakdown test properly since I tried this on another Alfa
engine and got good readings (5% leakdown).

Does this engine need a head job or are the readings screwed up?
Opinions much appreciated:
Michael
www.gtv6.org
1985 GTV6 3.0