Re: Red lights; AROCA NSW on the web

G'day y'all,

All this chatter about red light runners ...

Here in Sydney it is legal to only enter an
intersection on a yellow if it is too dangerous to
stop.

And we have a multitude of red light cameras to
contend with to ensure that adequate revenue is
attained. Er, I mean compliance with the law is
maintained. <g>

As an example of the multitude of these cameras, for
those of you who know Sydney, consider William Street,
probably a mile and a bit of pure congestion from the
heart of downtown to Kings Cross. There are perhaps 8
or 10 sets of traffic signals in that short distance,
and at least 4 of those have red light cameras
installed.

So, there was I early this afternoon, cruising down
William Street on my way to the Alfa Club Christmas
lunch (held at a restaurant conveniently located
within Rick Damelian's Alfa dealership) when the
upcoming light turns yellow, so I stop.

Not so the driver behind me though, who decided to
pull out and pass me, and go through the light, which
was still yellow as he went through.

But it was stupid, foolhardy, and dangerous.

Oh yes, he was in a Volvo. <g>

Apart from the red light cameras, we also have such
wonderful revenue raisers as speed cameras, and the
story in today's news was that they now have a new
generation of digital cameras, of which a significant
number are to be installed around the state over the
next few months.

Among the features quoted are the speed of processing
the fines, where conceivably now your ticket may well
be in the mail to you before you arrive home.

All aboard for Sydney 2000, where the traffic
congestion is such that you can only be guaranteed to
sit in traffic for a significant portion of your day.

And finally ...

<drum roll>

<fanfare>

AROCA NSW now has an official web presence.

http://www.AlfaClubNSW.org.au

Not much there yet, but bookmark the page; we'll be
building it up as a significant place for our members.

g.                      79 Alfetta Sedan
Gary Stark              69 1750 GTV (resting)
gstark@domain.elided  99 Holden Barina (POS)
http://redbacksWeb.com
Back down under in Sydney, Oz.
Secretary, AROCA (NSW).