RE: Steering Rack Boot Clamp Tool

> What I don't understand is how the tightness is retained. What should I do
> with the free end once the clamp is sufficiently tight?
>
> Any ideas from the digest what other methods there are for installing
these
> clamps? Anyone have an IAP tool they would like to loan?

once you get the band tight you bend it back on itself.  that should be
enough, but if you're really anal retentive you can put a tie wrap over it.
speaking of which, i've done a couple of steering boots that have been held
on with nothing *but* a tie wrap, and there didn't seem to be anything wrong
with that as a means of securing the boot.

there are only a couple of different style tools for cv joints (same type of
clamp), both of which should be readily available at your local napa store.
the style you're looking for is the one that you slide the band through and
then turn it with a ratchet to get it tight.  if you have any doubts just
bring a clamp to the store with you, they should be able to sell you the
proper tool.

hope this helps,

bs