Suspension problems

My 164 TS is having large problems keeping grip on the road when cornering.
Entering any corner or bend the car feels unbalanced or unsettled and this is
at very moderate speeds.  It feels like something is suddenly 'giving' in the
suspension.  At the moment the roads are wet, but it feels more like driving
on ice.  I have posted a similar message before on the digest and a number of
people contacted me all suggesting to check the suspension alignment.  Last
week I took the car to have this checked, the rear was out, and this has
helped in straight line running, but has made no difference to taking corners.

To recap on the work already carried out.  New steering rack, a-arm bushes,
new rubber on the front and rear struts, new drop links for the anti-roll
bars (middle one not changed - could this be significant), rear trailing arm
bushes, strut bearings replaced and some other things that I can no longer
remember, the rear arms are straight and undamaged.  The tyres have all been
replaced but have made no difference.  Everything has been stripped and
checked at least twice.

The only thing I can think of is that under dynamic load, something is moving
or giving in some way.  The car has been to at least 7-8 garages.  They all
say that everything looks ok.  After spending a lot of money I still have a
car that feels unsafe to drive.

The only other point is, how do you tell if the shock absorbers need
replacing on a relatively stiff suspension set-up like a 164.  I presume that
the standard 'bounce' test is less effective on cars like this.  The front
units are approximately 90,000 miles old and the rear ones are about
40-50,000 miles old, but when pressed there is no bounce.  These along with
the springs are the only things left to change.

Any advice or help would be gratefully accepted.

Steve
164 TS
Cumbria UK