Re: alfa-digest V7 #1212

In a message dated 12/10/99 2:25:18 PM Eastern Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> From: "Steve Schaeffer" <borrani@domain.elided>
>  Subject: Non-starting '67 GTV
>
>  Hey all,
>  Got a bit of a perplexing problem.   My '67 GTV, 1600 w/webers, has always
>  been a perfect starter.  A few months ago, while on a trip with the NWARC,
>  she would turn over fast enough, but the fire wouldn't light.  We then push
>  started it (thanks Gordy and Zach!) a very short distance and she fired
>  instantly.  She runs just fine.  She will run (after being pushed), she
will
>  turn over, but not both!
>
>  Last weekend we went through the positive and negative circuits, and
cleaned
>  up all our grounds, even soldering the ends of the pos and neg cables.  We
>  are not losing serious voltage.  The battery should be enough to start the
>  car, but even with a jump it makes no difference.  Turns over but no start.
>  I have about 9V at the dist. side of the coil (Bosch blue).
>
>  I have the stock Bosch point coil, it has never given me problems.  I put
in
>  new points/cond/cap/rotor (first time in about 6 years).  The starter is
>  freshly rebuilt, sounds like the best one yet.
>
>  Tonight she nearly made it, she fired, but ran at 200rpm for a few seconds.
>  I can't figure it out, she normally fires instantly and that's that.  As
the
>  saying goes, she ran perfectly when I parked it last!
>
>  Any thoughts?  Why this sudden change?
>
>  Steve S.
>  Seattle, WA
>  NWARC

Just a guess but how about the ignition switch?  Are you sure you're getting
voltage to the coil when the key is in the starter engage position?  Try hot
wiring the positive side of the battery to the positive side of the coil
(disconnect original lead) and then try starting.

If the battery is strong enough to freely spin the engine it should have
enough to fire the coil.  If car starts easily when push started it usually
indicates a weak battery as the starter really drains the battery while in
operation, but then again while being push started the key is now in the run
position not the start position.

Good Luck,

Frank Formeister