lack of front plate = euro car

Chris Shepley wanted to know that since motor vehicle dealers in California
only need carry the "dealer plate" with them, then...

<<does that mean if you could sneak a euro car into the US, you could
 simply affix your dealer plates and drive around at your leisure?>>

Essentially Chris, yes! While a car is in the dealers inventory it need not
be registered, nor need to be "smogged" or anything else. Don't get me wrong,
it would still be technically "illegal" to be in possession of a
nonconforming vehicle, but if you drove it around with a dealer plate affixed
you would give the "appearance" of being legit.

Pretty much, you can put a dealer plate on ANY vehicle (expired registration,
registration out of state, no registration at all, etc.) drive around be be
"legal". But, dealer plates do not allow a "free for all", as there are some
restrictions on their use. For example, only the dealer principle is allowed
"free use" of a plate. Any other use that results in a dealer inventory
vehicle being on the road must be related to a business "use". Myself (being
the dealer principle) is allowed to drive anywhere, anytime with a dealer
plated vehicle. If however, my wife took a dealer plated car to go grocery
shopping that would be an invalid use. But if I was going to go on a test
drive later in the day and needed gas in tank to do so and my wife took the
car to the gas station to fill up that would be perfectly okay. But if after
filling up, she stopped at the grocery store on the way home, well... that
would be borderline.

If you were interested in buying a car from me, I could give you a dealer
plated vehicle to take on a test drive. Test drives can even last as long as
2 or 3 days and still be legit, but if your neighborhood policeman noticed
that dealer plated vehicle in your driveway for say 2 weeks or so, then he
could take action as you should have been able to evaluate the car long
before then.

I could not give my visiting brother-in-law from New Jersey a dealer plated
vehicle just to drive around in while he's out here in California visiting
for the weekend. But, if my brother-in-law was interested in BUYING that
vehicle from me, then I could allow him a 2 or 3 day "test" drive. See how
you can "split hairs" here?

Oh, and most importantly a dealer plated vehicle really, actually has to be
"for sale". You're not supposed to put a dealer plate on a car that you call
a "keeper", a dealer plated car has to be currently available for sale (and
at a reasonable price... you could not keep driving around forever in your
1991 164 just because no one wants to pay the $45,000 price you are asking).

The bottom line is, if DMV thinks you are acting in a way that does not
conform with their ideas of how a dealer plate should be used they will
simply revoke your license and that is powerful enough to keep most "dealers"
in check. I am not advocating any of the "borderline" uses I have outlined
above, but simply trying to give examples of how to use a dealer plate
correctly and how you can get into "gray" areas.

Happy Holidays,

Ed at Caribou
www.caribou.cc
(still need 1979-1985 upholstery.... help!)