About building a VW-Alfa van

I too have been thinking about building a real-looking Alfa out of a
kleinbus that I have found, but not yet so seriously, as I already own a
nice '72 Alfa-Romeo F12 van with ambulance equipment. Still, it is
totally possible and very interesting idea, and there are some companies
in the U.S. that are specialized in manufacturing linking parts to
connect the engine you want with beetle/kleinbus technics. Besides,
there are so many project-conditoned 'buses that modifying one doesn't
seem a big pity, if you just still can get hold of good 105-series
engines. (They are getting very scarse now here in Finland) In my humble
opinion,  you should rather take a twin spark engine that has also
enough torque in alfisti needs, if you just don't like the boxer.

Bill Harkell wrote:

> Another project is my 71 VW camper which seems like a popular
> candidate for engine swaps including the old Subaru 1.8... Please tell

> me that someone out there has stuck a nice 2 lt Alfa motor in one of
> these... I'd even settle for a 2.5 V6 in the trunk... Radiator
> placement is NOT an issue. :o)  BTW, would you believe the Bus has a
> .38 cd? Any players for an Alfa powered VW bus?

If you had access to one, what about using a 1.7L out of a 33/Sprint?
Probably much less panel beating required to make it fit.

Tony

Chris Kane wrote:

> As for AlfaBill's Combi, why not (seeing as he's an Alfa dealer) stick
a 1.7
> Alfa Boxer in there? It substantially gruntier than the 1.8 Scoobydoo
motor,
> and it says the right thing on the inlet manifold. In fact, if memory
> serves, it is related (via Rudolf Hruska) to the VW engine anyway! And
don't
> dredge up the old excuse that there are no Alfa boxers in America - if
it
> worth doing, its worth doing right.

This is also just what I too have been planning, partly because a.) the
33's and the sud's technics are quite powerful, very cheap and easier to
find as they aren't so respected as other Alfas, b.) It still would be a
boxer and would therefore keep the kleinbus spirit, and therefore, c.) I
wouldn't hurt any VW-fanatic either. Besides, everything is possible, if
one just wants to do it! And this kind of project shouldn't be too hard
to any skilled mechanican, and would also be nice way to learn panel
beating, etc, as it still would be a VW instead of a pure-blooded Alfa,
and therefore mistakes wouldn't feel so bad either.

I wait with interest how AB's project will continue. Perhaps I will then
really do mine too!

Antti Korhonen (Pohja, Finland)
'69 Giulia 1300 ti
'72 F12 Van with ambulance equipment