re: James Tsakirgis and the 1.7 Sud motor

>Sud front brakes are basically identical to Alfetta rear
>brakes, and on a Sud Sprint are @$%^& impossible to get to unless you're
>triple-jointed. When they go wrong (and they do, being unnecessarily
>complicated) it's often a motor out job to fix them.

That reminds me of the time I replace half of the front right caliper
of my Sud, did the handbrake cable at the same time... all in the car.
Was a fun job!

>But, given that the handbrake works on the front calipers of a sud,
>replacing them with outboard brakes would tend to make hill starts
>impossible!

This is usually accomplished by replacing the rear axle with a 33
one, so you get the drums (yes DRUM BRAKES!!) at the back, along with
the handbrake gear.
I converted the front of my rally alfasud to outboard, and hooked up
a hydraulic handbrake to rear. Thank god for Rally Registration (as
a fly off hydraulic handbrake isn't really road legal)!

Jeremy