Re: Bleeding Brakes/Brakeless in Sydney

Some of you may remember my post a week or so ago relating to a similar problem
that I had with bleeding the brake system on my '69 Spider.  My brakes were always
very hard to operate, but with sufficient pedal pressure they would pull up the car
in a straight line OK.  The stripped down both brake boosters and they were in fact
both stuffed.  I weighed up the relative merits of rebuilding the Bonaldi boosters
versus replacing them with new, and opted for new ones which were supplied by
Highwood in UK.  Fitted them with no problem and set about bleeding the system.  I
should perhaps mention at this stage that a fair time, several months elapsed
between fitting the boosters and bleeding the system whilst waiting for "her
indoors" to provide the extra pair of hands, or feet in this case.  Pulled through
copious amounts of fluid bleeding in the same sequence as Dave from Sydney, but
couldn't clear the air completely.  Bought myself one of those single handed pumps
but no improvement.  After my posting on the digest I received many messages of
helpful tips, and I would like to thank you all here and now, but as it turns out
the one that did the trick was the bleed nipple on the master cylinder.  Bleeding
the air trapped in there did the job. Now I have fantastic brakes, powerful,
progressive, just as I always believed an Alfa should be.  My only bit of advice to
offer Dave is to replace/rebuild master cylinder if he is sure that there are no
other leaks in the system.

David Boxall
'69 Spider, Dubai, UAE, where the daytime temp now is a beautiful 80 degF, and yes
you bet I am driving the Spider regularly, if not daily.