SAAB and ALFA and APPLES

Please don't confuse that grotty little Vauxhall (2.5 V6) engine with a
real SAAB engine. It took years for SAAB to correct the cheapo shortcuts
Standard Triumph insisted that Ricardo Engineering put in the original
"SAAB" four cylinder. In fact, not until the 16 valve version did the
engine truly achieve it's potential.

As far as ALFA Turbo and SAAB turbo please remember we poor sods in North
America don't get to drive the ALFA Turbo. I didn't suggest a SAAB 9000 T
would outrun an ALFA 164 L from 0-60 (0-100 km/hr) but it will outrun one
from say 100 to 160 km/hr, hands down. You can't beat midrange boost,
whatever you might think about waste gates (a wastegate is misnamed, as
nothing is wasted, without one the turbo just blows out the head gasket
after one run!).

The reference to the similar cars was a reference to the common bodyshell
design and a few other bits and pieces. More than just the floor pan is
involved, the basic safety cage shares some common engineering. Even so,
the ALFA is clearly an ALFA both in styling and driving experience, ditto
for the SAAB. You can enjoy both even though they are closely related concepts.

Cheers

Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta
Canada