Re: Spica/Marelli engine lost power

Alfisti,

Got a definitive diagnostic today.  Thanks again for the help I got.

First thing I did, is pull out the spark plugs.  A little bit fouled.  Sort
of expected that, since I tried to start it a couple of times but didn't get
it to run for more than about one second.

Cleaned it, adjusted the gap, cranked the engine to check for spark and put
it back.  Didn't get a definitive answer on the spark.  I was by myself so
quite far from the plug.  Didnt' see much, but sort of noticed a spark.
Started with #4.  When I got to #3, guess what?  The engine was trying to
start with a plug off!  Coldn't believe that.  Disconnected the fuel pump.
When checking for spark at #2, the engine still tries to start!  That's
really funny, since I disconnected the cold start solenoid and the engine
was as cold as it gets.

Anyway, after finishing all plugs, moved to the distributor.  Never touched
it in 3yrs./35000 miles.  It was a little bit greasy inside, so I cleaned
it.  Looked for the famed fail-proned Marelliplex insulator, didn't see
anything suspect.  Anybody can explain where is that insulator?

Next, I check the fuel cut off solenoid per Scott's recommendation.  When
connecting it, there is an audible click.  So far so good, it seems to do
the right thing (or is it not?).  I made sure it remains disconnected, since
it was a suspect.  My gut feeling was that somehow the fuel just doesn't get
to the injectors.

Crank the engine, starts beautifully!  Yee-haaa! :-)  Let it warm up for a
while at fast idle.  When it went back to normal idle, I connect the fuel
cut off solenoid wire.  Guess what?  The engine stops right away!

Sooo, to give the whole story again: I start from a stop light, 1,2,3,4 -
3500 rpm, changed 5th, the engine loses power, the alternator light comes
on.  So, somehow, the cutoff solenoid decided it will do it's job when he's
not supposed to do so.  The question is why and how can it be fixed?  Can I
just use the car with it disconnected, at least for a couple of days until I
fix it?  Anything worse than backfiring can happen?

I tried to adjust the cutoff solenoid before the smog test, but it was sort
of stuck and I gave up (it passed anyway with flying colors).  Can't release
the lock nut.

Can I service the cutoff solenoid or I need a new one?

Ciao,

Costel
77 Alfetta/Spica/Marelliplex
Beaverton, Oregon