Re: 164 AND SHO, and natural rev limiters

In a message dated 11/29/99 7:05:27 AM Central Standard Time, VLADDS@domain.elided
writes:

<< Now, in the work he used to do, (on carbureted, unlimited -not even
mechanically- engines), he installs the engine on a testbench and he begins
reving it up.On the car, those boxer engines show in the dashboard a redline
at 6500 rpm.On the stand he revs them up to 10 000.His statement was that
around that value the frictions naturally limit the revs of the engine and it
would go no further(maybe there are other factors too).Next step was to apply
a brake to the flywheel and slow down to a preset value.troughout this the
engine remained operational.Third step was to release suddenly the brake of
the flywheel, that would cause invariably the engine to fail, from diferent
causes. >>

Sorry, but here is another Fel-Pro story. For after-market applications we
would buy engines from the local junk yard. We would normally set them up on
a dyno and run a baseline endurance test, WOT max power. Once we setup a
Mazda GLC 1.3L or so. We had a hell of a time mating the trans to our dyno.
Turns out we were quite a bit misaligned as after about 20 minutes on the
dyno the coupling shaft broke and the engine went to 9500 rpm (6000 redline).
Since we were at lunch it ran that way for around 45 minutes, no damage. Our
belief was that it was induction limited.

John "I got a hundred Fel-Pro stories" Katos

End of alfa-digest V7 #1185