Re: 50 Alfa for sale on eBay

Karl D. wrote in AD #1183:

> Interesting car for sale on eBay. Maybe you it will go cheaply because
> they can't spell "Alfa" and many searchers won't find it. (No
> connection. Caveat Emptor.)

> 1950 Alpha Romeo CORSA SS.Rita Hayworth.Kahn Item #207031605

> http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=207031605

Happy holidays,
Karl

The description on eBay states:

A fantanstic opportunity to aquire an Automobile of such classic design,
 and ownership history.Given to Rita Consino (Hayworth) Kahn, by the King of
     Eygpt King Ali Kahn in 1950 as a wedding gift.we have complete
documentation
 showing importation certificate, and colour brochure for the "Classic Cars
     Of the Greats " Niagara Falls,Ontario,Canada. where is was on show for
18 years, then sold by auction in the early 80's and stored inside ever since.
the
     car is in very restorable condition , and shows only 8,900 miles on the
 odometer,it has been converted to an automatic,but is still all original with
 the right
     hand drive.the body is by Pinan Farina (ferrari) the body is completey hand
crafted,
with beautiful classic flowing lines, truly an outstanding opportunity to
     own "ONE OF THE GREATS" if you have any questions, e mail for further
details,
 delivery is no problem.

It sure is a good looking car, but the "King of Egypt" bit is pure fantasy.
Prince Aly Khan, member of the Aga Khan
 family was never king of Egypt (or any other country).  He did, however, marry
Rita Hayworth in 1950, although the
marriage was short-lived (maybe she didn't like the Alfa, as she had it
converted to automatic transmisson?).

The "Pinan Farina (ferrari)" bit, as well as mis-spelling "Alpha" also shows
that the seller probably doesn't have a
clue about what he's talking about.

Any film enthusiasts out there who can elaborate on the Rita Hayworth story?

Regards
Jorn Bereng
Oslo, Norway
'82 GTV 2.0