Re: Cleaning hydraulic parts

The chief problem with using normal petroleum distillates for cleaning
brake parts is that it leaves a residue. It also affects the rubber parts
in *bad* ways. The seals get soft and swell, causing premature failure.
The residue left behind is also a problem for getting a good seal in the
first place. For the outside of a grubby cylinder, what works for me is
to spray it with brake cleaner, then scrub with a wire brush. Wear heavy
chemical-proof gloves while doing this. A little scrubbing with a wire
brush gives you a really cruddy brush, but you also get a cylinder that
comes clean easier with just the cleaner and maybe a rag. On the insides,
you really don't want to use anything but brake cleaner. Scotch-Brite
helps.

FYI, the "standard" degrease process for semiconductor process equipment
in "the good old days" was TCE, followed by Acetone, followed by Isopropyl
Alcohol.

Graham Hilder asked: