Alfetta 1981: overhaul or replace engine?

Hi,

My 19 yr old engine is badly in need of an overhaul. There are complicating
matters which makes me consider replacing it with a used 75 twin spark
engine. The complicating matters are:

1) one of the tuning screws on the carb is a bit loose. Upon revving the
engine it may turn in its seat. Will a carb. kit cure such things.

2) after replacing the old faithful fuel pump, it has already chewed 2. The
first was simply an error - the push rod punch thru a wrongly installed
part. The one that replaced it lasted 2 weeks. The current one is probably
leaking - I smelt gas fumes. I fear this to be a recurring problem.

I guess a workaround using an electric pump is possible. But having to
change to an electric pump, new carb. will cost me almost as much as a used
75 twin spark engine.

I don't have any experience with fuel-injected Alfas. I guess we can reduce
the problem to a carb engine or fuel injected. I seek opinions especially
from those who have experienced both. Any inputs equally welcome.

Razip Samian
Alfetta 1981
email: razip@domain.elided