164 shifter problems

My original post years ago....
> If memory serves well, there is a troublesome bushing under the
> > firewall which handles the shifting linkage. Mine had to be replaced a
> > while back just for the symptoms you describe. It also seems to be
> > returning as a problem as my action is getting a bit tougher and the
> > tech who did my recall said he moved it back into place. Too bad he
> > cobbed up my inner fender well when re-assembly took place... :o(
> >         Hope that helps.
>
> Can anyone shed a bit more light on this?

There are 2 bushings (look like little top hats) at the shifter junction
that should be changed when doing a clutch, cuz it'll never be easier...
Real SOB to access when not apart. Also you can lube up the place where
it comes through the firewall. If the problem is awkward 1st gear, it's
likely these bushings are squishy. Much better shifter feel and
engagement.
- --
AlfaBill http://mastroalfa.com/parts.htm
Mastro Alfa Romeo / Subaru Inc. 800.683.ALFA
Home of SuperPro Polyurethane bushings and Magnecor Wires
Alfa Digest photo page: http://mastroalfa.com/digest.htm
Tampa Florida USA