blues

Last Wednesday I rolled my 164L--a total loss. When the pictures I took
at the tow yard get developed, I'll post 'em and describe everything I
did wrong ( ain't hindsight perfect?)--It's hard to believe when looking
at the car that anyone walked away!

But for now, I'd like some opinions.

When looking for a replacement, I flew to Phoenix to look at ( and
probably buy) a low mileage '91 164L. Everything looked fine until I
raised the hood--the rear head was painted turquoise blue as were both
valve covers, and the front head partially so. There was overspray on the
front head that approached the cam pulley and belt. The owner told me
that his mechanic, unfamiliar with Alfas had replaced the belts without
changing the tensioner. The new belt skipped and a valve was bent. The
mechanic then painted the aforementioned parts when pulling the rear head
to repair the damage.

My reaction was to stop considering the car.

I have three questions:

first, what do you think of a turquoise blue partially painted 164 engine?

second, part of my reaction is to distrust the mechanic's judgement and
hence the repair work he did. What's YOUR opinion?

finally, what diagnostics could be performed to verify the the valve and
head work were done properly?

Thanks,

Regards,
Alan G. Lambert___________________________________<gerard@domain.elided>