rough running 164

Chris
I know this is no help at all but......  My 164 has exactly the same
symptoms  but my year doesn't have a check engine light.
I you find out the problem with yours PLEASE let me know
thanks

By the way Chris my mail to you was returned user unknown

I have a 92 164L that has developed a difficulty when first started.  When
started cold, the idle is rough and application of the throttle causes it to
die or almost die.  Symptoms don't usually show up until the car is put in
gear ( auto ) at which point the check engine light comes on.  The check
engine light stays on for a minute or two then goes out and all is well.
Once successfully under way the car seems to run fine.
When I press the OBD button the error message appears to be a single blink
 I am assuming that the long flash at the beginning of the sequence signals
the beginning of the message string and that the four quick flashes signal
the end of the message.)  Can any of you ALFA aces  guide me?  Where can I
find the codes for the OBD ?  Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.  Chris Hogan
92 164L ( 48K )
Matthew Dooher
1989 164 A