Spica questions

Hi Group:

I've seen it written that when a Spica pump begins to fail, it fills the
crankcase with gasoline.  Mine seems fine, but I was curious, exactly how
does this happen?  Does the fuel leak past the pistons in the Spica pump and
mix with the engine oil supply there, or does the Spica begin to deliver too
much fuel to the injectors, which gets past the engine's pistons and into
the crankcase?  It would seem that in the first case, the engine would run
lean, while in the second, it would run rich.  Correct?

Just for future reference, how much of a job is it to remove the Spica pump
while the engine is still in the car (i.e. my Spider)?  It looks pretty
ugly.

- --
Regards,

Dean W. Cains