Pompa d'Acqua et Morte

Some observations on the death of the water pump in my Milano:

1st indication:  A single puff of stem noticed rising from the center of
the front of the hood while idling at a light one morning.

2nd observation:  Water temp usually runs at or near indicated 175
started occasionally running at the mark below 175.  Water level not
dropping significantly in the reserve tank.  I recall this being
mentioned by another Milano owner recently prior to the failure of his
pump and wonder whether this is consistent with other owners.  Reserve
level did not drop enough to illuminate the "low coolant" lamp on the
ARC.  Vehicle not overheating.

3rd observation:  Small puddle noticed the other evening when backing
out of driveway   I'll check it in the morning.... Forgot.

Fast run to San Fernando valley yesterday 80 miles or so Speedo
indicating 70-80 Tach indicating 1500  (an unrelated problem)  Temp
good, minor stop and go.

4th observation:  On startup this morning Alternator light staying on,
growling under hood.  Checked for neighbor's cat under hood.  Coolant
spray lubricating the drive belt and front of engine, slack in belt.
Started up, waterpump is growling, bearings worn contributing to slack
in belt likely.

148,000 miles  I'll be changing the pump and All belts in the
morning...   Anyone else have a similar drop in indicated temperature
prior to pump failure (200-400 miles later)
Any thoughts, theories?

Al Fista