Re: Matt's really cool round 101 mirror

I have just looked through numerous sales brochures, press photos &
parts books, together with several modern books, & it would seem that,
at least for european Spiders, the Giulia 101 Spider was fitted as
standard with a mirror on the driver's door, about in line with the
1/4light, whereas the Giulietta Spider was not.

The Giulia Spider mirror is particularly nice (in my opinion)
rectangular/oval in shape, with a triangular base, with three fixing
screws. The Parts Book shows the parts no. as being #106.01.61.017.00 &
lifted from the 2600 parts bin, therefore post '62. There are numerous
illustrations of this mirror in "Giulietta Spider" in the "Cars Which
Made History" series, now out of print but still available from Alfa
Stop.

The Lucas mirror is relatively unknown here in the UK. I recently
purchased a pair of the modern Taiwan made repro versions, to say that I
was dissapointed is an understatement.

I would go for fitting a Giulia mirror onto a Giulietta Spider, it may
be not strictly original but it certainly is in keeping with the car &
is of the period.

Hoping that this is of some help,

Tony Stevens
Alfa Stop

In message , JHertzman@domain.elided writes
>Matt from ReOriginals writes:
>
>> There is a really cool round mirror that did become an "official"
>> Alfa accessory but not until the 101 cars came out. It's the one
>> with the Alfa emblem on the peak of the round back and the 3" long
>> teardrop base.
>
>W.A.D.R. I question the 101 connection. My parts books show two versions of
>this mirror, #105.03.61.017.00 which first appears on the 105.03 Duetto and
>is still listed in the 1750 parts books for cars exported to Germany and
>Denmark, but which does NOT have the Alfa emblem on the peak of the round
>back in the illustrations in either the Duetto or 1750 parts books, and which
>is shown mounted on the fender on the Duetto and on the door on the 1750; and
>#105.64.61.017.00, WITH the Alfa emblem on the peak of the round back, which
>is shown in US Supplement parts book for the 1750 and which was fitted to
>both my 1750 GT Veloce and 2000 Berlina when I bought them new. The 105.64
>indicates original use on the Montreal. I did not find any exterior mirrors
>in my early Giulietta, late Giulietta, Giulia TI, TI Super, or Super parts
>books, and would wonder if that type was used originally on the 101 cars.
>
>Scott Fisher mentions  that his "Junior has one of these, or more likely it's
>a knock-off -- it's made out of what appeared to be gray plastic, as though
>it had once been chromed and the plating had worn or oxidized off.". The last
>time I bought a mirror of this form from ARI, the factory store in Englewood
>Cliffs, as a replacement for a damaged one it came in gray, which I assume
>was primer, and assumed from that that some late version was used painted. It
>is quite possible that Scott's "knock off" is a completely genuine offside
>undo.
>
>Matt mentions using the Lucas mirror which was ubiquitous on popular British
>sports cars. Another widely used brand of the period (still available) was
>the Desmo Boomerang which had a spring-loaded base, returning the mirror to
>its original position if it got banged by a pedestrian or otherwise
>deflected. The Desmo Boomerang base comes in straight, curved, and "winged",
>which has a longitudinal pivot at the base for optimum adjustment, and all
>were available with extensions for caravan towing, as well as round, oval,
>and wedge (trapezoidal) heads in flat or convex glass.
>
>Matt also writes that "There is an "official" Pininfarina mirror used on any
>cars made by them, Fiat, Alfa etc. It's a trapezoid mirror, the arm attached
>slightly off center with a triangular base about 1 1/2"- -"  Skimming the
>photos in d'Amico & Tabucchi, mostly (but not all) vintage factory publicity
>photos, eight Giulietta Spider shots have no exterior mirrors and the ninth
>has a little round base looking very Desmo, but that photo (used as a
>Giulietta Spider on p.420 in volume 1) is also used as a Giulia Spider Veloce
> [...]

- --
Tony Stevens    http://www.alfastop.co.uk
ALFA STOP, POBox 50, Belper DE56 1AS, UK
Tel: +44 (0)177 382 2000
Fax: +44 (0)177 382 1900