SV: 164 rear brake callipers

Hi Geoff.
Glad someone found the information interesting and I=92ll mail this to =
the AD as well.
I=92ll try to give you some further information but I might not find the =
right English words for everything.

To take the caliper apart you have to remove it from the car and screw =
the brake piston out. Inside there is a spring loaded mechanism for the =
hand-brake secured by a circlip. I had problem finding a tool to remove =
this circlip and it was a hard job putting it back because of this stiff =
spring. Otherwise the job was easy.
When the circlip is out the mechanism can be pulled out and then it is =
possible to pull the hand-brake cam actuator out.
My hand-brake seized up because of corrosion on this "cam" and the =
surface had become very ruff.
In the kit from UBD there is not only all the rubber parts and a new =
seal (with a better design) for the actuator but also a bushing with a =
very thin wall. This is to be pressed onto the "cam" to make the surface =
for the seal smooth again. I cleaned everything and filled the mechanism =
with water resistant grease and it now works fine. I have no experience =
of how long it will last but it looks promising.

You can e-mail them at info@domain.elided. They have a web site too at =
http://www.ubd.se/ but it doesn=92t give much information.=20
I have no interests in this company bla bla bla.=20
Hope this information helps.
Regards=20
Peter Greis
PS. For Swedish 164 owners the kit can be bought at Mekonomen. DS

>Peter
>
>Please forgive this direct email but I was intrigued to learn of the
>reconditioning kit for 164 rear callipers. Mine are in need of =
replacing
>because the hand-brake cam actuators within the assembly have worn out =
after
>150k
>miles! Does the kit you mention include a replacement cam? I have =
looked at
>the assembly and could not see an easy or obvious was of taking it
>apart -did you find it difficult?
>
>Your comments would be appreciated.
>
>Can you please provide the email or mail address or phone number of UBD
>Production AB.
>
>Many thanks in anticipation.
>

>Geoff Linzell.

End of alfa-digest V7 #1169