Electric mirror control on '91 164L

The stable grows!  This past weekend I purchased a '91 164L.  The car
seems to be in great shape!  The PO had the 90K checkup done (not
exactly sure what all was included but he said he spent $700).  Stepper
motors are apparently original and from what I have read here, probably
are close to death as there is kinda tickin' sound.  Funny, when the
interior air system is turned off a more pronounced and higher frequency
(more rapid) sound is produced.  Not sure what that is all about.
Ideas?

On to the reason for this post... the electric mirrors (both L and R)
respond to the selector switch for lateral adjustments, but not to
elevation adjustments.  This would seem to suggest that there is a
problem with the switch as neither mirror responds for elevation.

Plan to order a CarDisk for the car ASAP, but until I get that, am I on
the right path?  Does access to this switch require removable of the
door panel?  Help.

Paul Weimer
'69 Spider Boattail
'84 Spider 2.0