Re:Giulietta Spider mirror

Al Jacob asked about correct outside mirrors for his '58 Spider. Back in 1958
there was not an "Official" Alfa mirror that was particular to Alfa. Rarely
did the new owner put one on his car at all, in Italy that is. We here in the
States sort  of wanting to know if anybody was close when we wanted to change
lanes had a tendency to install a mirror on the left front fender. The fact
it made no difference in seeing anything at all allowed most of us to think
well if we put two on the car, one on each fender, we could maybe not see
twice as much. We often put the Lucas mirror there because it what was mostly
available back then; MG, Jaguar and Austin Healy sources being our sources
too. It's the one with the small 1" long teardrop base and the circular
mirror fastened a little off center. We saw it everywhere, so much so that we
have come to think of it as the "correct" one. And it IS correct as in this
case there is, in my opinion, NO incorrect as long it's suitable for 1958.
There is a really cool round mirror that did become an "official" Alfa
accessory but not until the 101 cars came out. It's the one with the Alfa
emblem on the peak of the round back and the 3" long teardrop base. There is
an "official" Pininfarina mirror used on any cars made by them, Fiat, Alfa
etc. It's a trapezoid mirror, the arm attached slightly off center with a
triangular base about 1 1/2" on each side and a particular curve to the base
to fit precisely where it mounts on the door;  near where a vent window would
be.
Matt@Re-Originals