Hubcentricity and the 164

In fact, the wheels on a 164 are so hubcentric they tend to stick onto the
hub even if the wheel bolts are removed. Of course this is only while said
wheel is off the garage floor and the car on the jack, but the point is
once the wheel bolts are snugged down there's no way there's going to be
any play just because the wheel bolts might not be exactly centered in the
wheel holes. My SAAB 9000 T is the same way and the SAAB mechanics
recommend using a little brake caliper lube in the wheel center to ensure a
clean release if the wheels are left on for long periods (yeah I know we
all like to leave the wheels on permanently, but some of us have the
drudgery of winter tire change over twice per year).

On the squeaky bushing in the rear trailing link thread I seem to recall an
item somewhere on this digest or the discussion board or the tech articles
to do with the idea that the bushing partially seizes to the bolt causing
the squeak, tightening the bolt would seem to be counterproductive if I
recall the general trend of the item I read, spraying the bushing with some
kind of rubber/metal lube is more likely to solve the problem.

Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta
Canada
91 Alfa 164L, White, original owner