RE: More Spica stuff

> >Who said he had just one profiled cam?  Wes is the type of person to
spend
> >the time it takes to design cams for various applications.  It is
certainly
> >no mean feat to do that, and make the car pass emissions.
>
> Well--somebody was talking about just bending the spring, not re-profiling
> the cam. Point is that ANY slight deviation from the specs for which the
> cam is ground will cause a problem. A couple of degrees of cam timing, or
> couple of thou of valve lash is enough to throw things off. Not exactly
the
> sort of stuff the average racer--or hipo street driver is equipped to deal
> with!

that was me.  i was also careful to place the spring bending 'mod' in the
'non-ingram' category.

as for more than one high performance cam (ingram), i'm pretty sure he has a
bunch.  i had a conversation once about whether his pumps would work in cars
that had radical cams that were profiled for carbs, and he mentioned that he
could profile the spica pump to work with any cam.

wes required a lot of details before rebuilding my pump - cams, headwork,
etc etc.  he also gave pretty specific instructions on how to set things up
when i was done.

do they work?  my only comparison is a drive in my old spica equipped '75
spider, 7l cams, shankle headers, ported, big valves, and a ride in a
similarly equipped '75 spider. same cams, same valves, and an ingram pump.
although the ride in the ingram equipped spider was many years later, i
still remember the feeling that my old spider never went like *that*!  there
was no hesitation in sending my pump to wes after that ride.  for the
record, the 'other' '75 spider was owned by keith magnussun (sp?).

<snip>
> >I really don't think so, Wes wouldn't settle for that.  He uses his
> >Dynograph LED richness indicators to help straighten all that out.
> >
> I'm not familiar with the Dynograph unit--but unless it is a true WBO2
> unit, like a Horiba (not saying that the cost of a Horiba) is necessary),
> the results are open to a LOT of question.

i've got one of the vdo o2 gauges in my dellorto equipped spider.  i believe
this is basically the same setup that wes uses in his dynograph.  however
inaccurate it may be, in a matter of less than a couple of hours after
installation i had the car starting, idling, and running almost perfectly,
something i had not been able to do previously.  keep in mind that my spider
has 48mm dellortos (i know, too big) that i got off a racer for the right
price, and those carbs are supposed to be useless on a street motor.

<snip>
> I will not give an opinion of the Electromotive units on list. If your
> conclusion is that this speaks louder than words, congratulations,
> Sherlock!

i'd like to hear your opinion on electromotive - off-line is fine.

fwiw,

bs